Category Archives: Extra! Extra!
The night was full of surprises and gorgeous dresses – along with some expected winners and not so fabulous dresses. Katherine Bigelow was the first woman (which I was quite surprised by) to win Best Director and Monique took home the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Best Costume Design was taken home by The Young Victoria – which didn’t surprise me one bit because it’s a period film. Of course, Avatar won for Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction, but I really thought it’d take home best picture – usually box office draws do…
Here’s some other categories I find the most interesting along with who I think should’ve won – and who actually did win.
Avatar, The Blind Side, An Education, The Hurt Locker, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Precious, A Serious Man, Up, Up in the Air
Sandra Bullock, Carey Mulligan, Helen Mirren, Gabourey Sidibe, Meryl Streep
Morgan Freeman, Jeff Bridges, George Clooney, Colin Firth, Jeremy Renner
Best Art Direction
(This category was hard for me to choose since all these films have AMAZING set design)
Avatar, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Nine, Sherlock Holmes, The Young Victoria
Best Costume Design
The Young Victoria, Coco Before Chanel, Bright Star, Nine, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Best Animated Film
The Princess & the Frog, The Secret of Kells, Up, Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox
IL Divo, Star Trek, The Young Victoria
Best Music (Original Score)
Sherlock Holmes, Avatar, Up, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Hurt Locker
Overall, I think the awards were pretty good. Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were sort of boring as hosts, but the set design for the show was nice, which entertained me enough itself. I think the winners were expected and even though some of them weren’t my personal choices, there weren’t any huge upsets (a la The Color Purple back in the 80′s). The Hurt Locker is a great piece of work, so I wasn’t upset about it’s wins. I wasn’t too to upset by the fashion of the night either…
There were some dresses however that could’ve stayed on the rack…
Well, you can’t win all the time! Of course, most of the men of the evening looked dapper in their tuxes – guys can never go wrong there! To see more Oscar Night Fashions go here.
News of the World
Current Events & Health
- 20 years ago today, the world got one tiny step closer to world peace.
- Karma comes full circle to the DC sniper.
- Could the Fort Hood massacre have been prevented?
- Even members of his own party thinks the President needs to up the ante on getting health care to pass.
Pop Culture & Entertainment
- Sesame Street turns 40! The Count has a field day.
- A tomb fit appropriately, for a King.
- I wonder if Katt Williams will find jail funny, cause he obviously thinks burglary is.
- If you try hard enough, you really can train and teach a kitty tricks?
- After 950 tries, a South Korean woman finally passes her driving test…I’m not too sure if she should be on the road.
- Are you excited to see Levi’s Johnston???
News of the World
- Pilots of a Northwest Airlines learn to save the arguments for the ground. I was totally in the air at the same time this was going on.
- The frenzy for the H1N1 vaccination gets worse.
- Various US bands want to know if their music was used as a form of torture on Guantanamo Bay detainees.
- Times are still rough. Poverty in India is leading to an insurgence of wife selling.
- As unfortunate as this is, it’s quite obvious that bears shouldn’t be on skates.
- Like a scene out of a movie, a young girl mysteriously turns up in Manhattan, but has no recollection of her name or background.
- The Presidential family portrait.
- The debate on health care continues. All I know is somebody (cough, cough President Obama) needs to toughen up.
Design, Art, & Tech
- The iPod celebrates its birthday amidst the arrival of some new Apple products.
- Haha! Oh, Facebook.
- How to avoid identity theft while social networking.
- Penn Museum exhibit provides a glimpse into what Ancient Iraq was like.
- Totally going to get these Super Bastard Boxed Toys – especially since they have a MJ one!
- 2010 will bring some new music from a psuedo “icon” and a true icon.
- Among many reasons Michael Jackson wanted to create “This Is It”, one of the most heartfelt was so he could share his dancing with his kids.
- The truth comes out.
- J.J. Abrams gives some juicy tidbits on the new “Star Trek” sequel.
- Reviews of the new Amelia Earhart film aren’t too favorable. I’m going to still see it.
- No. No. No.
Design, Art, Culture, & Life – News of the World
Health & Current Events
- Take care of yourself! Don’t ignore these 10 health symptoms!
- Wow. So even pregnant women can get pregnant?
- The economy may be getting better, but even the richest are getting poorer.
- Why women have sex. ‘Cause this question is obviously so hard to answer.
- Sad news. Indonesian earthquake. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims.
Design, Art, & Tech
- Every designer has their unique workspaces. Here’s where some of the greats create.
- Steampunk gadgets are so cool.
- Keeping your computer plugged in? Good or Bad?
- I’m buying some Lego’s. Especially if I can make THESE with them!
- All this talk about Tablet PC’s uncovers a Microsoft prototype.
- Damn, another Black magazine may be folding.
- Kylie Minogue is awesome. Concert just confirms what U.S. fans (and the rest of the world) already knew.
- Superman’s powers scientifically explained?
- Drew Barrymore + Ellen Page = Great fun!
- Mass “Robot” dance. I need to get in on one of these massive dance offs!
- The great Black hair debate.
Art, Culture, Fashion, Life – News (and other bits) of the World
- Remember, Disney now owns Marvel Comics…THIS may be a sign that that doesn’t suck after all…
- Want Gene Roddenberry’s computer?
- Damn, those aliens must have some sort of an awesome processor!
- THIS gives me even more fuel to stop being lazy and cook more often…you probably will too.
- With 2012 around the corner, we might want to learn exactly what happened to the Mayans, lest history repeat itself…
- Stock up on your grape, strawberry, clove, etc cigarettes, cause they’re going bye-bye!
- Hmmm…reverse racism?
- The First Lady wishes other women would stay off her man! Shoot, I don’t blame her!
- Darn that Wii Bowling! It can distract anyone – even SWAT teams!